The cost of a marquee wedding can be a deciding factor on whether to go down the marquee route or a ‘regular’ wedding venue route for your wedding. There are a range options to choose from when deciding on your wedding venue and to have a marquee wedding might be top of the list. Costs and budget certainly factor in the decision making process and can be a deciding factor on whether to have a bespoke marquee wedding or go with a ‘regular’ wedding venue. Both have their merits, no doubt. I think there are some great reasons to have a marquee wedding and equally lots to consider when planning one.
So, let’s look at the average cost of a marquee wedding when compared with ‘regular’ wedding venue to give you an idea of costs which might help you to decide. I put the details below together for a past bride and decided to share it with you too. Bear in mind that these comparisons are made against the backdrop of having a marquee set up at a private residence for the wedding reception with the couple providing the drinks versus having the wedding at a 5 star wedding venue in the heart of London’s Mayfair.
If you’re reading from overseas please convert to your local currency and if you’re considering a marquee set up on a private land, please consider the costs of land hire too.
Average cost of a marquee based on 150 guests
- Empty shell frame marquee structure (without any furniture) – range from £3k to £6k
- Structure frame marquee with furniture (table, chairs, dance floor etc.) – range from £6k to £10k
- Luxury marquee structures (some with sails, transparent PVC panels and all the trimmings) – range from £12k to £20k
- 3 course wedding breakfast including crockery and tableware but excludes drinks – ranges from £50 – £85 per head. (more if you bring in your own tableware, linen and crockery)
Average cost of marquee
- Lower end – from £13k (this does not include furniture)
- Mid range – from £19K
- High end – from £27k
Regular wedding venue costs based on 150 guests.
- Wedding reception room hire – range from £3k to £10k
- 3 course wedding breakfast – ranges from £65 – £85 per head
- There’s an additional charge for separate ceremony room
Corkage fees (venues charge this when they serve you drinks or when you bring your own and they serve it)
- Champagne – range from £40 – £75 per bottle
- Wines (whites and reds) – range from £25 – £50 per bottle
Average cost of regular wedding venue hire
- Lower end – from £19k
- Mid range – from £26k
- High end – from £33k
These are based on London prices. As with everything, costs will vary depending on venue and your location. You also need to factor in things like lighting, decor, types of furniture and special equipment. My top tip is to make a list of all the things you will need for your marquee wedding before approaching marquee companies for quotes. There are factors that will affect your marquee hire choices too (style, type, location etc) but your marquee company can advise you more on those.
I hope this mini breakdown has given you some insight into the average cost for a marquee wedding and one at a regular wedding venue. You now have a rough idea of costs before approaching either marquee companies or wedding venues. Do get in touch if you need help with putting together a bespoke cost breakdown for your marquee wedding.